Local legend has it that spirits from the Stout Family cemetery near by haunt this Trolley Tunnel.
Members Present: John C. Fowler; Jon Bolton; Tony Fantozzi
Time: 9:00 pm to 9:45pm
Temp (Average): ???°F
Humidity (Average): ???%
Moon Phase: unknown
Wind Speed: unknown
# of Pictures: 23
Hours of Video: 00 hours, 04 minutes, 51 seconds
Hours of Audio: 00 hours, 26 minutes, 47 seconds
In 1951 the trolley lines stopped running and few visible clues remain today. The Stout Family cemetery mentioned in the local legends were early pioneers of Perkasie who settled in the Pennsylvania province owned by William Penn and called Perkasie Manor. The old Stout homestead stood at what is now Main and Callowhill Streets. Typical of families of the 1700’s the Stout family had their own cemetery. Relatives of the Stauts / Stouts with names such as Groff, Kletzing, Strassburger, Schleifer, and Leidy are also buried at this graveyard. Other family cemeteries are not found in the town of Perkasie because there were few settlers in the Perkasie area in the 1700’s. A metal fence was placed around the graveyard sometime in the early 1800’s. In 1926 a brick and stone wall was constructed around the graveyard using bricks imported from England early in the 18th century and stone taken from the original Stout home here in Perkasie. The bricks were taken originally from a pre-revolution building in Philadelphia which was razed to provide an approach to the Delaware River bridge.